Importance of Education
Name – Mrityunjoy Gangopadhyay
Profession – Quality
Designation – COO (Chief Operating Officer)
Organisation – Qualitative Support Services, Kolkata
Age – 55
City – Kolkata
Work Experience (Years) – 35+
Under-Graduation – B.Tech, REC, Durgapur
Professional Qualification – LEAD AUDITOR QMS, EMS, OHSAS, IATF 16949
Please give us a summary of your Career.
1. Qualitative Support Services as COO FROM NOV 2010 TO TILL DATE
2. Moody International as Vice President From May 2009 to October 2010
3. BSI Management Systems India Pvt LTD AS GENERAL MANAGER From 10th Sep 2007 till 30th April 2009
4. HSB International India(P)Ltd AS GENERAL MANAGER from April 2005 to August 2007
5. HSB International GmbH AS GENERAL MANAGER from April 2003 to July 2007
6. TÜV SUDDEUTSCHLAND INDIA Pvt Ltd as Regional Manager -East from March 1999 to May 2003
7. SGS India Limited as Head of Project Inspection & Certification, Training (Eastern India)from April 1991 to February 1999
8. Air Conditioning Corpn. Ltd-India as Planning Engineer (Projects) from Oct’88 to March’91
9. Flakt India Ltd. as Inspection Engineer/ Contracts Engineer/ Resident Engineer from June’85 to Sept’88
10. TITAGARH STEELS LIMITED Jr. Engineer (Quality Control) for 17 months
Please describe your current Job Responsibilities as a COO
As a COO my responsibilities include – directing all business management, budgeting, forecasting, P&L management, recruitment, purchasing, administrative and operations management including compliance to accreditation norms, report reviewing, review of auditors & tutors, allocation of codes, performance appraisals, Auditing as Lead Auditor against ISO9001/14001/18000/TS16949 standards, Lead Tutor IRCA U.K approved QMS & EMS course, Conducting Internal audits, impart trainings ,Approval of QAP, Verification of Inspection reports, Conducting/Guiding during Third party Inspection
Average Income in this Profession in the current scenario
Starting out/Fresher – 0-2 Lakhs Per Annum
5 Years of Experience – 2-5 Lakhs Per Annum
10 Years of Experience – 5-10 Lakhs Per Annum
15 Years of Experience – 20-40 Lakhs Per Annum
20 or more Years of Experience – 40-80 Lakhs Per Annum
How do you rate the Income Potential in your career?
On an average, how many hours do you work per day?
More than 9 hours
On an average, how many days in a week do you work?
All 7 days
As a COO how often are you required to work in night-shift?
Does your work as a COO require you to travel?
Does your work require you to relocate to different town/cities?
How would you consider the job security in your profession?
Would you consider this Profession of a COO Risky?
Overall, how would you rate Work-Life Balance in your Profession?
Overall, how would you rate Job Stability of your Profession?
What are the different ways of entering this profession?
Only after minimum 5 years of working experience and after graduation and passing IRCA UK Lead Auditor course
How would you rate Stress-Level in your Profession?
How would you rate your office/work infrastructure?
How would you describe your co-workers?
Generally speaking, your work is
Overall, how would you rate Work-Culture in your Profession?
Importance of Education in Your Profession
Would you say that Education from top School/College plays a major role in the success of this Profession?
What level of Education is sufficient to be successful in this Profession?
Graduation in Relevant Stream
Would you say that Studious students are generally successful in this Profession?
How would you consider the Cost of Education post 12th?
At present, which institutes are best for the education of this profession?
International Automotive Task Force
What is the cost of education (post 12th) of this profession at present?
INR 3 Lakhs per Exam
Overall, how would you rate the role of Education in your Profession?
According to you, what kind of person is likely to be Happy & Successful as a COO?
First Personality Trait – Prefer working alone or in small groups and focus on a few tasks at a time
Second Personality Trait – Focus on facts and details and apply past experiences to come up with practical solutions to problems
Third Personality Trait – Prefer to make decisions using logic by weighing the pros and cons
Fourth Personality Trait – Prefer to be organized and stick to plan
Fifth Personality Trait – Prefer routine and stable life
Sixth Personality Trait – Prefer to be self-disciplined and organized
Seventh Personality Trait – Prefer to be cooperative and compassionate
Eighth Personality Trait – His/Her Family and Friends agree that S/he is usually relaxed, calm and happy
Please provide details
This profession requires you to be well-dressed in presentable good attire.
What are some of the positives, which would encourage someone to join the Profession of COO?
1. Firstly, in this profession right from the managing director to the junior-most workforce, everybody will be after you and listen to you. It is a very bright profession.
2. Secondly, one gets an exposure (horizontal and vertical) to different industries and gets to know their working packages. For example, someone who did Mechanical engineering but goes for audit in the rubber industry, then that person gets both horizontal and vertical exposure to the industry.
3. Thirdly one can view the methodologies and principles adopted by Fortune 500 companies. Easily, one can become an icon in the field since these international certifications are mandatory nowadays to survive business in the global arena.
4. Next, one becomes familiar with the roads to different industries, their manufacturing process, and operational techniques.
What are some of the negatives that you would want someone to be aware of when considering a career as a COO?
1. Firstly, tremendous touring is involved which includes very frequent changes in climate and food habits.
2. Mostly, one needs to work in the night shifts, so there is a high chance of sleep deficiency. Also, too much of overseas travel results in a dearth of sleep because of frequent changes in time differences.
3. Lack of sleep and too much change in food habits can lead to health problems. One needs to be very fit otherwise there is always a high chance of falling prey to different health issues.
4. Since work pressure is there and needs a lot of focus and attention, one almost needs to forget his family, friends and pay full attention to the work.
Recognition in your Profession
What is your family’s view of your Profession?
My Family is Neutral
What is Friends’ view of your Profession?
My Friends are Impressed
What is Society’s view of your Profession?
Society is Impressed
Overall, how would you rate the Recognition aspect of your Profession?
General Information of your Profession/Business
What kind of family’s financial background can maximize success in this profession?
It Doesn’t Matter
What is the ease of starting own business in this field?
Maybe Easy for Few
How easy is it to move to a different country in this profession?
Maybe Easy for Few
Now you have several years of work experience and you have seen professions of others. If you are taken back to 10th/12th class and allowed to pick a profession, then which profession will you pick and why?
Central Government Job