- To become a good writer, you need to start reading first in order to have a good command over the language.
- Writing on a variety of topics should be practiced regularly since writing is not something that comes by forcing yourself. It should be authentic.
- Patience is a required virtue in the journey to become a successful writer. It takes both time and talent to pursue this career path.
- In order to become a good writer, you must first learn to be a good observer.
- There is not a lot of money in this profession until you are being hired by any organization or you have become a very famous writer.
Name – Sameer Khan
Profession – Poet, Author
Age – 23
Gender – Male
City – Mumbai
Industry – Writer
Where have you been born and raised?
I was born in Jalandhar, a small town in Punjab. My mother is a homemaker and my father work as a manager for a multinational company. I have one younger brother.
Who all had the most influence on you and why?
My teachers had the most influence on me as they inspired and motivated me immensely. I am also inspired by writers like Charles Bukowski and Danielle Steel. I often read their work.
Please give us a summary of your career.
I did my schooling from Jalandhar, Lucknow, and Delhi as my father has a transferring job but I did not attend college. I started writing things that I could not express otherwise. Words have a lot of power in itself. I had heard that before but realized it only after I started writing. Then I wrote a series dedicated to the individual life of LGBT community. I have named the series “The Lore of Rainbows”, where I describe LGBT individual’s life in the form of poetry.
Then I wrote a series on a romantic story portraying a long-distance couple’s love story in the form of poetry. I named the series “A chestnut of cuddles and care”.
Then I wrote a series on Women empowerment, portraying the different essence of women and their life in form of musing, which I have named as “A series dedicated, to ‘Her’”.
Later, I published my book “Eerie Edges” dedicated to those who were suffering from critical depression and anxiety.
Other than this, I have delivered a speech at TEDxKharghar, Mumbai.
Platforms like Filtercopy, Wittyfeed India, Youthkiawaj, Bored Panda, AkkarBakkar, Funkyourself, BuddyBits etc have published my work.
Which institutes are best for the education/training of writer?
In India, there are no such colleges which offer the course on creative writing. In this case, one must have good command over language in which he/she is thinking to write. Other than these, I use YouTube and Instagram for reading, writings and understanding them.
What are the costs associated with the education/training of writer?
As I haven’t undergone under-graduation myself, I don’t have much idea of cost. I am a self-taught writer.
How does one enter this profession?
By writing good pieces and that comes with a lot of dedication. One should give time to this and the writings should not be forced into writing it should be authentic.
What is the range of remuneration one can expect when starting out in your line of career and industry?
There is no fixed income in this profession. If you are a content writer with a degree in any of the local languages you can earn up to 20,000 a month which will increase with experience and time up to 40,000/50,000 INR per month.
In creative writing, it is will start from 30,000/40,000 INR per month. And if you are a poet or an author, then you have to publish your book and the income will depend on its number of books sold and your commission per book.
There is not a lot of money in this profession until you are being hired by any organization or you have become a very famous writer.
Please describe your work.
I spent hours writing. I have to write a lot when I have assignments. And if there is any poetry shoot then it also takes like 6–7 hours to shoot it. It depends on how much work I have at a time. Sometimes I have to work for 13–14 hours and sometimes only for one hour.
On an average, I have to work for 10–12 hours a day as I have to follow deadlines of my publishing house.
What are some of the positives which would encourage someone to consider this career/job?
Writing is like art and brings joy to the beholder. Some of the positives to consider are:
- You can inspire people around you with your work.
- You earn quite a bit of respect and love from the society for your work.
- The timings are extremely flexible and allow you to have a healthy work-life balance.
- It teaches you to love and respect others and observe them.
What are some of the challenges that you would want someone to be aware of when considering this career/job?
Even with all the positives, this career like every other has its own negatives; some of which are:
- In the initial days, it is hard to convince those, who love and guide you, to trust your choices as it is not a regular job with fixed workspace or timings.
- The work pressure is high and will take some time to get used to it.
- Writing requires extreme patience and creativity and you need to learn to cope with Writer’s block.
- Writing does not pay very well, and it takes a long time for your work to be recognized unless you work for an organization.
What are the relevant skills/trends/technologies that are currently commanding a premium in your job profile?
In the modern era of technology outburst, everything is getting simplified through the use of technology and skills in technology would be extremely beneficial.
What kind of person would be happy in your career?
People with a carefree attitude and those who are able to take things as they come to them would be happy in this career. People who overthink will find it difficult to make it as a writer. You need to be calm and composed in order to survive in this profession.
Given another choice what you would do differently as far as your professional selections are concerned?
If I would not be a writer, I would have liked to become a basketball player as I have played basketball at the national level.
What would be your advice to students or professionals who are just starting their journey on a path similar to you?
It is not important that how much you have written, rather the important part is how many people have loved your writings. I would advise you to explore yourself, explore your surroundings and be authentic to your own self.
If you are an avid writer, check out some of the best SEO techniques at Boostbloggers.